Up to the challenge?
One morning, while flipping through the 500 channels on my TV, I came across a commercial for Shaun T’s Insanity program. He suggests that you can receive a year’s worth of results in 60 days if you follow his workout regimen. I was intrigued by his challenge – so I checked out the Insanity website. His approach to marketing his workout DVDs was impressive. Actually, it was more than impressive – it was effective. His tactics could easily be used by an association to market membership, programs, products and services.
- Use video and photos to prove it! Shaun T demonstrates the value of his product with a video and before and after photos on his website of real people who have followed the program.
- Don’t forget the calls-to-action. Throughout the website, visitors are prompted to take action through the use of bold colorful quotes such as, “You must read this!” and “You can do this!”
- Free gifts. When you purchase the DVD set you receive four FREE gifts including free online support, a nutrition plan, a quick start guide and a calendar. These items could have been bundled with the DVD set but they were promoted as BONUS items so that you get a sense of added value with your purchase.
- Show the value and the price. The website states, “We’re talking about a $500+ value for all of the workout DVDs and training tools” for less than $120 plus S & H.
- Offer a payment plan. Shaun T promotes the option to purchase the workout for three easy payments of $39.95. Although $120 may sound like a good deal compared to the value, it is much easier to make the purchase if it is broken into three payments that are less than $50.
- Create a sense of urgency. If you order today, you will also receive two additional bonus workouts. But this is a limited offer so you must act soon.
- Ask your fans to be ambassadors. If you complete the 60 day workout and send in before and after photos you will receive a free, “I earned it” Insanity t-shirt. The shirt is not for sale, which gives it additional value to those who have earned it. Shaun T encourages its customers to be proud and promote their accomplishments on social media.
Sheri Jacobs, FASAE, CAE is the author of The Art of Membership: How to Attract, Retain and Cement Member Loyalty (ASAE Series) published by ASAE and Jossey-Bass (January 2014).